Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Day 11: Five Favorite Foods

The title is an alliteration... Who else noticed? :)

In our society, food is often associated with fond memories, family, and important events. Food comforts most of us, so we have phrases like "comfort food" and "stress eating" and such. Whether this is a good or bad thing is debatable. It could be good because there are some days when things aren't going so well and that brownie or ice cream or giant piece of lasagna is just what we need to feel a bit better. However, this is partially where our problem with obesity stems from, which is not good.
Whether good or bad or whatever, I too have some foods that I identify as "comfort food." As dictated by the prompt for this post, I shall share them with you. Alas, I can't actually give you some, so words will have to suffice. These are in no particular order of importance.


1. Homemade macaroni and cheese with ham in it.
This recipe is a staple at my house. My mom uses store-bought elbow macaroni noodles, but she makes the sauce herself with flour, milk, and like 3 different kinds of cheese. The end result is a creamy, delicious pot of mac 'n cheese that's so much better than anything out of the box. Makes great leftovers, too.

2. Ribs.
My dad's favorite thing to make that isn't on the grill. I'm not sure what he puts in the seasoning and the marinade, but he always says he cooks them at 300 degrees (Fahrenheit) for 3 hours. And they're AWESOME. My little stepsister especially loves them.

3. Chocolate cake.
There are several kinds of this that I love. Mine (which we call the OMG cake), my mom's (Hershey's gluten free chocolate cake), and my grandma's. I ate a lot of this before Solo & Ensemble and drum major auditions this past year.

Introducing... Deep Space!
4. Ice cream.
I work in an ice cream shop, so eating it is really kind of unavoidable. And we almost always have some at home, too. My favorite flavors are Mint Chocolate Chip, Cookie Monster (cookies and cream with cookie dough), Deep Space (dark chocolate and blue moon ice cream with frosting and dark chocolate pieces), Zanzibar Chocolate (dark chocolate ice cream), Jumping Jersey Cow (peanut butter ice cream with a chocolate swirl and chocolate mini cows), Birthday Cake (pretty self-explanatory flavor), and Deep Dish Apple Pie. I've had most of those for lunch or dinner at one time or another.

Usually you put lingonberries on these,
but strawberries are good too.
5. Pancakes.
I absolutely love breakfast food, but pancakes are my favorite food in this category. When I was younger, my dad would make Swedish pancakes every Saturday morning, and even though he doesn't do that anymore, regular pancakes are awesome too. I put strawberries or chocolate chips in mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment