Thursday, August 20, 2015

Day 5: My Favorite Comfort Foods and Why They're My Favorites

My favorite comfort foods would probably have to be homemade macaroni and cheese with ham in it, homemade soup of any kind, homemade bread, potatoes of the either mashed or roadside variety, and chocolate cake. As for why these are my favorites:
Homemade macaroni is something my mom just started making frequently again, and I absolutely love it. The sauce has like three or four different kinds of cheese in it, and some flour to make it nice and thick and creamy. And the little chunks of ham in it just make it more awesome.
Mashed potatoes are a favorite of mine because my mom makes really good mashed potatoes. Roadside potatoes are hash browns with cheese, buttermilk, and butter mixed in with them that have been cooked in a crockpot. The recipe came from one of my grandma's friends, and they are the most delicious kind of potato, in my opinion.
I love homemade soup and bread because there's nothing like coming in from outside on a chilly fall or winter evening and eating a bowl of wonderfully hot and delectable soup and a piece of homemade bread. And as for the cake, I simply think chocolate cake is one of the best things about life.
The one thing all of these comfort foods have in common, though, is that they all remind me of my childhood in some way. I remember eating homemade macaroni when I was just a toddler, and the rest of them have been present all my life. Maybe that's why they're called comfort foods, because they fill you both literally and figuratively, bringing back memories, and reminding you of happier times.

No comments:

Post a Comment