Saturday, September 26, 2015

Day 10: My Guilty Pleasure


What exactly is a guilty pleasure? Google says it's something a person likes despite the fact that not very many other people hold it in high regard. In that case, wouldn't it change depending on what group of people you're with? For example, I love practicing all of my instruments, but I've found that not very many other high school students agree with me on this. However, professional musicians, music teachers, college students majoring in music, or other adults who appreciate music either enjoy practicing or at least respect the fact that it is necessary for improvement. So practicing could be considered a guilty pleasure among my peers, but probably not among adults.
Another thing I could consider a guilty pleasure is instrumental/band music. I vastly prefer it over generic popular music, and if I could find any on iTunes, I would put it on my iPod. Most of my family definitely does not share my love of totally epic concert or marching band songs, but my band friends understand completely. I especially love conducting these epic songs, pretending that my room is a stage or a football field, and letting my imagination run wild. Neither my family nor my peers understand this, but again, my band friends get it.
So really, the definition of guilty pleasure is not necessarily correct. "Guilty pleasures," by definition, can change depending on the group of people you're with, unless your guilty pleasure is something that is generally considered morally incorrect. In that case, the majority of people wouldn't hold it in high regard, and Google's definition would be right.
Anyway, so ends this incredibly late post that is, as usual, saturated with band obsession.

No comments:

Post a Comment