Monday, April 10, 2017

Day 15: Your Philosophy

Much has happened in my life lately. I've learned a few things in the past months, and been left with many things to figure out. However, I am happier now than I've been in a very long time, because after all these years, I believe I've finally established a solid philosophy to live by. So, naturally, I decided to share it with you.

There are five parts to this great realization of mine. As I explain them, I'll probably sound like a really long motivational quote, but these things are worth repeating, at least for me.


The first part is this: Forgive. Forgive others for the things they've done to you, because you never know if this will be your last chance. And in the end, you'll both be better off because of forgiveness. But also, and perhaps more importantly, forgive yourself, even when that's easier said than done.

Secondly, always look on the bright side. This can be very difficult, because I know from personal experience that some situations can look very bleak, especially when you are overly negative like I am. But I promise you, every bad situation has something good about it. Even if the only good thing is that it won't last forever. Every bad day will pass, because the sun will rise again and give you another chance.

The third thing kind of goes with the second: Find the good in others, and especially yourself. They say that you cannot truly love someone else until you love yourself, and despite much debate, I have found this to be true. As I like to say, "Duets are great, but you have to have a strong melody line first." Just don't love yourself too much; selfishness is the destroyer of relationships. As for other people, don't be quick to judge. Perhaps I'm naive to think this, but I believe that there's something good about everyone, even if that one thing is a part of themselves that they've forgotten. I do not think that anyone, even the most despicable people in the world, is inherently evil. Wickedness is a learned behavior, taught by cruelty and injustice, anger and unfairness. I believe that everyone deserves to be shown kindness and deserves to be treated fairly.

The fourth piece of my philosophy is this: Be passionate about something. It doesn't really matter what, so long as it isn't illegal or dangerous or anything (obviously). In my case, it turns out that I have quite a bit of passion, dedication, and love to pour out for the things (or people) I care about. I am committed to music, to my faith, and to those I love, and this ultimately gives me something to live for.

Finally, I will leave you with this. Never, ever, give up. Life is hard, and you will fall down and get broken either physically or emotionally or both sometimes, but do not let anything keep you from getting up again. There will be people (including yourself) who will try to discourage you. Don't listen to them. There will be dark, terrible days and nights, when it seems as though your life is shattering around you and you just want to wake up from this nightmare that has become your reality. Believe that things will get better. Ask for help when it's a really big issue, and help yourself to look on the bright side when it isn't. Keep things in perspective. And remember this: Even of you have loved and lost, the important part is that you have loved, and have been loved. If you feel absolutely awful, as if you're drowning in your own sorrows, at least you feel something. Even if emotions are painful, at least you have them. Even if you feel like dying, that proves that you're alive. And if you're alive, that means that things have the potential to get better. But no matter how hard life gets, keep on fighting. Life can be unfair sometimes, and the world can be a cruel, messed up place, but that doesn't mean that you and I should give up on trying, in our own small ways, to make it better.

No comments:

Post a Comment